I just replaced my hard drive and am trying to install the Snow Leppard OS on my Mac mini using the DVD's that came with the unit. Is there a step by step procedure that will guide me through this process?
Prep the new drive:
1. Boot from your OS X Installer Disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.
4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.
5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.
Upon completion quit DU and return to the installer. Install OS X. When the installation has completed you can proceed to restore your data from your backups. If you have an existing backup from Time Machine or another hard drive then upon completing the Setup Assistant you will have an option to restore from another Mac, a TM backup, or another drive. Use the appropriate option.